Based in Kanagawa, Japan
7 September 2017
Tokyo Dark is an anime-style horror adventure game combining point and click and visual novel genres. The story follows Detective Itō accross Tokyo, searching for the truth behind her partner's strange disappearance. Featuring puzzles, stat management, and difficult decisions, Tokyo Dark puts the narrative in the hands of the player. Players' decisions change Itō's character, opening or locking options and leading to 11 different endings.
In January 2015 Tokyo Dark was submitted to the Square Enix Collective where it achieved an incredible 94% rating by the Collective members and was later Greenlit on Steam. Following that, the game had a successful Kickstarter campaign in summer 2015, and it was later announced it would be published by the Square Enix Collective. Tokyo Dark released for PC on Steam 7 September 2017.
- Branching story with 11 different endings (including a NewGame+ exclusive ending).
- Difficult decisions, every action affects Detective Itō's attributes and options.
- Beautiful anime-style character art, with locations inspired by real locations in Tokyo.
- Original soundtrack by Reign of Fury front man Matt 'Bison' Steed.
- Animated sequences produced by Graphinica, a world-class animation studio.
- Localization by Japanese novelist Ureshino Kimi.
- The S.P.I.N (Sanity, Professionalism, Investigation, Neurosis) system keeps track of every decision you make, changing how other characters react and the actions available to you.
Tokyo Dark Launch Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Vermillion Gate Award Winner" BitSummit 4th, 10 July, 2016
- "Magical Presence Award Nominee" BitSummit 4th, 10 July, 2016
- "Dengeki PlaySation Indies on the Rise Award Nominee" BitSummit 4th, 10 July, 2016
- "[Tokyo Dark] executes the seemingly-impossible task of fusing the elegance of traditional point-and-click gameplay with the engaging story-telling of a visual novel."
- Jordan Helm, Hardcore Gamer
- "Despite being a game about a cursed mask, Tokyo Dark is mostly a story about people. Like the best kinds of horror, it wants to reveal a fundamental truth about society."
- Gita Jackson, Kotaku
Tokyo Dark on Steam
Buy Tokyo Dark on store.steampowered.com.
Tokyo Dark Kickstarter
Monthly updates from Cherrymochi about Tokyo Dark's development at Kickstarter.com.
Cherrymochi is an independent game studio that aims to bridge Japanese and Western game design. Based near Tokyo, Japan, we are inspired by Japanese pop culture, anime aesthetic and Western adventure games. Our international team members are from 5 different countries and we pool our multicultural experience to make story-focused games for an international audience. Cherrymochi's first game, Tokyo Dark, was released 7 September 2017.
More information on Cherrymochi, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Tokyo Dark Production Credits
Project Lead, 3D Art & Programming
Finance, Management & Translation
Moochirin (Laura Jin)
Character Design & 2D Art
Co-writer (Japanese), Localization
Music & Sound
Development and Communication Support
presskit() by Rami Ismail (Vlambeer) - also thanks to these fine folks